1. Which of the following is correct about a probability distribution?
Sum of all possible outcomes must equal 1
Outcomes must be mutually exclusive
Probability of each outcome must be between 0 and 1 inclusive
All of the above
For the following distribution
what is the mean distribution
A machine shop has 100 drill presses and other machines in constant use. The probability that a machine will become inoperative during a given day is 0.002. During some days no machines are inoperative, but during some days, one, two, three or more are broken down. What is the probability that fewer than two machines will be inoperative during a particular day?
4. A new car was put into production. It involved many assembly tasks. Each car was inspected at the end of the assembly line and the number of defects per unit was recorded. For the first 100 cars produced, there were 40 defective cars. Some of the cars had no defects; a few had one defect, and so on. The distribution of defects followed a Poisson distribution. Based on the first 100 produced, about how many out of every 1,000 cars assembled should have one or more defects?
5. What is the only variable in the Poisson probability formula?
6. For a binomial distribution, the probability of a success stays the same for each trial, but the probability of a failure varies from trial to trial.
7. The variance of a binomial distribution is found by η π (1 – π).
8. What kind of distribution are the binomial and Poisson distributions?
Both discrete and continuous
Neither discrete or continuous
9. To construct a binomial distribution, it is necessary to know the total number of trials and the probability of success on each trial.
10. Which of the following is NOT true regarding the normal distribution?
Mean, median and mode are all equal
It has a single peak
It is symmetrical
The points of the curve meet the X-axis at z = -3 and z = 3
11. Ball-Bearings, Inc. produces ball bearings automatically on a Kronar BBX machine. For one of the ball bearings, the mean diameter is set at 20.00 mm (millimeters). The standard deviation of the production over a long period of time was computed to be 0.150 mm. What percent of the ball bearings will have diameters 20.27 mm or more?
12. The average score of 100 students taking a statistics final was 70 with a standard deviation of 7. Assuming a normal distribution, what is the probability that a student scored greater than 65?
13. An accelerated life test on a large number of type-D alkaline batteries revealed that the mean life for a particular use before they failed is 19.0 hours. The distribution of the lives approximated a normal distribution. The standard deviation of the distribution was 1.2 hours. About 95.44 percent of the batteries failed between what two values?
8.9 and 18.9
12.2 and 14.2
14.1 and 22.1
16.6 and 21.4
14. A large manufacturing firm tests job applicants who recently graduated from college. The test scores are normally distributed with a mean of 500 and a standard deviation of 50. Management is considering placing a new hire in an upper level management position if the person scores in the upper 6 percent of the distribution. What is the lowest score a college graduate must earn to qualify for a responsible position?
15. The uniform probability distribution is symmetric about the mean and median.
16. The z-scores for X values greater than the mean are negative.
17. Management is considering adopting a bonus system to increase production. One suggestion is to pay a bonus on the highest 5 percent of production based on past experience. Past records indicate that, on the average, 4,000 units of a small assembly are produced during a week. The distribution of the weekly production is approximately normally distributed with a standard deviation of 60 units. If the bonus is paid on the upper 5 percent of production, the bonus will be paid on how many units or more?
18. If 40 samples of size 21 were selected from a population of 22,493, we would expect the mean of the sample means and the population mean to be close but not exactly equal.
19. Suppose we select every fifth invoice in a file. What type of sampling is this?
20. An accounting firm is planning for the next tax preparation season. From last year’s returns, the firm collects a systematic random sample of 100 filings. The 100 filings showed an average preparation time of 90 minutes with a standard deviation of 140 minutes. What assumptions do you need to make about the shape of the population distribution of all possible tax preparation times to make inferences about the average time to complete a tax form?
The population distribution is skewed to the right.
The population distribution is skewed to the left.
The population distribution is normal.
The shape of the population distribution does not matter.
21. An accounting firm is planning for the next tax preparation season. From last year’s returns, the firm collects a systematic random sample of 100 filings. The 100 filings showed an average preparation time of 90 minutes with a standard deviation of 140 minutes. What is the probability that the mean completion time will be more than 120 minutes?
22. The Intelligence Quotient (IQ) test scores are normally distributed with a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15. What is the probability that a person would score 130 or more on the test?
23. We can expect some difference between sample statistics and the corresponding population parameters. This difference is called the sampling error.
24. What sample statistic is used to estimate a population parameter?
25. A group of statistics students decided to conduct a survey at their university to find the average (mean) amount of time students spend studying per week. Based on a simple random sample, they surveyed 144 students. The statistics showed that students studied an average of 20 hours per week with a standard deviation of 10 hours. What is the probability of finding a sample mean less than 18 hours?
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.