1. If an alternator is being driven by a gasoline engine, how is the speed of the alternator’s rotor
A. By electronic controls C. By an exciter
B. By a governor D. By an amortisseur coil
2. What is the maximum temperature rating of Class F insulation?
A. 105° C C. 155° C
B. 130° C D. 180° C
3. How are series-connected alternators set up so that they run in synchronization?
A. They’re mechanically coupled. C. They run from a single exciter.
B. They’re cross-phase connected. D. They use reaction-type rotor fields.
Whichever method you use in submitting your exam
answers to the school, you must use the number above.
For the quickest test results, go to
4. Which one of the following views shows the point where the coil cuts the minimum amount of flux?
5. A standard alternator would have ratings of
A. 500 kW and 500 V. C. 2250 kW and 3000 V.
B. 750 kW and 575 V. D. 10,000 kW and 13,800 V.
6. What is the maximum cooling air temperature allowed for in the design of an
A. 20° C C. 60° C
B. 40° C D. 80° C
7. A two-pole turbogenerator is designed for 60 Hz operation. What is the highest speed that would be
used to turn this steam-turbine alternator?
A. 600 rpm C. 2400 rpm
B. 1200 rpm D. 3600 rpm
8. The damper windings of an alternator are normally carried on the
A. armature. C. rotor.
B. prime mover. D. stator.
9. You want to make sure that two alternators are operating properly in parallel. Which of the following
readings should be the same for each of the two machines?
A. Wattmeter readings C. Current readings
B. Power-factor readings D. True power readings
10. How can the voltage at the terminals of an alternator be doubled?
A. By cutting the strength of the magnetic field in half
B. By doubling the turns of wire in the coils
C. By cutting the speed of the machine in half
D. By doubling the size of the coil wires
11. For the alternator part shown below, the electromagnets get a direct current from
A. a ballast ring. C. an impulse turbine.
B. a yoke. D. an exciter.
12. A 36-pole alternator will generate how many cycles of AC voltage during one revolution of the
A. 6 C. 18
B. 9 D. 36
13. A single alternator isn’t operating properly. Your first step in shutting down this single alternator is to
A. shut down the prime mover. C. open all of the feeder switches.
B. reduce the output voltage of the alternator. D. open the field switch of the alternator.
14. What is the typical rating of exciter voltage?
A. 25 V C. 125 V
B. 50 V D. 400 V
15. What type of rotors will an engine alternator usually have?
A. Salient-pole rotors with horizontal shafts C. Cylindrical rotors with horizontal shafts
B. Salient-pole rotors with vertical shafts D. Cylindrical rotors with vertical shafts
16. Which one of the following voltages is not a typical alternator voltage?
A. 125 VAC C. 4300 VAC
B. 460 VAC D. 13,800 VAC
17. What is an infinite system?
A. An infinite system is one that isn’t connected to a load.
B. An infinite system is one that relies on all alternators to produce the proper voltage and current.
C. An infinite system is one that transmits power over a large network.
D. An infinite system is one that doesn’t rely on the operation of a single alternator.
18. A static exciter unit will use what type of device to provide DC current to the field windings?
A. Semiconductor rectifier C. Static straps
B. A motor-generator set D. A direct-coupled generator
19. In a two-pole alternator, one cycle of AC power will equal how many electrical degrees?
A. 90° C. 270°
B. 180° D. 360°
20. In a three-phase or polyphase alternator, how are the coils spaced?
A. 90° apart C. 150° apart
B. 120° apart D. 180° apart
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.